Volunteers - Coding For Charity
Have you ever wondered how you can make a difference in your community? GiveCamp is an opportunity for you to use your technical skills to help local non-profit organizations reach their full potential. In many cases they just need help setting up WordPress, changeing the look of a web site or setting up a new CMS. Whether it is big or small they can really use your help.
On the weekend of October 19th, Pittsburgh will be hosting its second GiveCamp and we need your help to make it a success. In addition to helping out a great cause, this is also an opportunity for you to grow as a professional, work with new people and technology, be a mentor or be mentored.
Submit the form now!
We will give you a chance later to confirm that you can make it.
Please fill out the Volunteer Signup Form if you would like to be a part of GiveCamp. Please use the comments field to let us know what kind of technologies you are most interested in using.
Information for Attendees
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Bring your own laptop. If you do not have a computer then please let us know and we will try to make some arrangements.
- Overnight bag in case you feel like staying the night and crashing in a cot. The cots will be provided but please bring a sleeping bag or blanket... plus some shower items and a toothbrush :)
- Phone Charger
Here is a rough guide for how the weekend will go. In reality everything after the sign-ins is subject to change based on how things work out.
- 5:00 PM – Begin sign-ins for attendees
- 6:00 PM – Opening Ceremonies (introduce event, charities, developers, sponsors, etc)
- 8:00 PM – START THE CODING!
- The facility will be open all night. We will have cots available if it gets too late and you do not feel like driving.
- 8 AM – Coffee and breakfast
- 12:00 PM - Lunch
- CODING. CODING. CODING...
- AM – Continue working, but start to wrap up. Focus on polishing up whatever features are in development instead of starting new ones.
- 1:00 PM – CODE FREEZE (turn in code, finalize deployments)
- 1:15 PM – LUNCH
- 03:00 PM – Final Ceremonies (developers & charities demonstrate the application)